Sunday, August 25, 2013

People

This week, I have
  • assigned mailboxes for 54 people.
  • had heart-to-heart conversations with at least 5 people.
  • met probably 70 people I didn't know before.
  • consciously made time to talk to people. 
  • hugged at least 30 people.
  • hunted down many people so I could give them keys and information.
  • made my room presentable so I won't be embarrassed when people come in it. 
  • thought about the people from last year I miss.
  • worried that people don't like me.
  • been surprised when unexpected people have liked me.
  • reminded myself multiple times to write letters to two people, which I still have not done.
  • prayed with groups of people probably an average of three times a day.
  • realized I need to call people back home.
  • remembered what it was like being a freshmen two years ago and being in these other peoples' shoes.
  • taken time away from people.
  • had two emotional breakdowns from being around people too much.
  • been shocked and amazed at how God provides ways for people to survive in places where they would normally be fish out of water.
I joked earlier today that I had managed to fool everybody into thinking I was a naturally loving person. But I don't feel like I was faking it. This week of returning to school, training with other dorm staff members, and greeting freshmen and returners has stretched me in ways I don't think I would have been capable of handling two years ago. I would have been even more of a crying wreck -- this week was not without its struggles.

I couldn't have done this on my own. Under my own power, I would not have been able to deal with so many people. I would not be able to function without God.

My dependence on Him isn't perfect, but I'm ever marveling at the ways God can take regular, flawed people and enable them to do things far removed from anything they thought they would ever do. Really, I think that's one of the things He does best.

What did God do for you this week?

No comments:

Post a Comment